Hiring: Manager of Policy and Advocacy
Edmonton Global is seeking an experienced Manager of Policy and Advocacy to lead the organization’s competitiveness work and execute strategies that effectively influence governments and institutions to adopt policies and practices that will increase the region’s, the province’s and the country’s competitiveness for foreign direct investment and export.
The manager of policy and advocacy will be a strategic thinker and a thought partner for leaders throughout the organization.
Reporting to the VP, Strategy & Innovation, the Policy & Advocacy Manager provides leadership for, and oversees the planning, development and implementation of Edmonton Global’s policy and advocacy programs; to monitor legislative and public affairs developments, to conduct research on competitiveness, public policy and global best practices; and to develop and coordinate advocacy strategies in collaboration with partners and stakeholders.
Responsibilities included, but are not limited to:
- Research and Policy Work
- Monitor legislative developments at the local, provincial and federal levels and provide substantive briefs and strategic analysis to inform staff, board and partners on issues that relate to Edmonton Global’s mandate and our global competitiveness
- Conduct research into public policy that relates to best practices for FDI attraction and export promotion, write reports and make recommendations for removal of policy barriers or policy change to increase our global competitiveness
- Provide expert advice to leadership as needed.
- Lead the strategic development and implementation of Edmonton Global advocacy initiatives, ensuring Edmonton Global can respond to strategic opportunities and influence the development of relevant provincial, national and international practices and policies.
- In collaboration with the communications team, lead the creation of a range of communications tools and tactics that enable Edmonton Global to achieve advocacy objectives.
- Collaboration and Relationship Building
- Collaborating with Edmonton Global’s partners and allies on policy matters, organizing coalitions and joint efforts where strategic.
- Building and maintaining strategic relationships with governments officials, public policy experts, NGOs and other key partners critical to success of Edmonton Global’s competitiveness and advocacy goals
The successful candidate will be adaptive, fast-paced, incredibly passionate, hardworking and embody Edmonton Global’s corporate values: integrity, collaborative, empowered, transformative, and invested. The following skills, experiences and aptitudes will also be required.
Education and Experience
- Undergraduate degree (MBA or advanced degree an asset)
- Minimum 5-8 years of related experience
- Experience with public affairs, public policy and research (communications, stakeholder relations experience an asset)
- Proven analytical and critical thinker, comfortable with finding innovative solutions to problems
- Proven track record of leading initiatives, hitting goals, succeeding in a high performing team environment and delivering to tight deadlines
- Experience working with stakeholders within the international/economic development sector an asset
- Experience working with and managing consultants and external teams
Skills & Knowledge
- A highly adaptive and dynamic individual comfortable working in a start-up organization, willing to roll up their sleeves and do whatever it takes to execute Edmonton Global’s Strategic Plan and mission
- Ability to work collaboratively with cross-functional teams, consultants and external stakeholders
- Demonstrated ability to write, edit and analyse reports, briefing notes, and policy documents
- Ability to be innovative and imaginative in solving problems
- Ability to communicate clearly in face to face meetings and build consensus.
- Ability to work independently and manage competing priorities with tight deadlines
- Oral & written communication skills
- Results driven
- Attention to detail
- Flexibility/adaptability to change
Please email us at email@example.com noting “Application: Policy and Advocacy Manager” in the subject line, with your cover letter and resume attached by January 21, 2020.
In your cover letter, show us: 1) your personality – we want to know you’re not a robot (and if you are a robot, why you’re a special robot!); and 2) why you’re the right fit for Edmonton Global and this position at this time. We want to know your experience and specific track record that makes you the right person for us.
We thank all applicants for their interest but only short-listed applicants will be contacted. If you have questions about the process or the position, please filter them through Amanda Borman at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Edmonton Global is an equal opportunity employer and we value the diversity of people and communities. We are committed to an environment that is inclusive and barrier free. If you require accommodation during the hiring process, please inform us in advance to arrange reasonable and appropriate accommodations.