Edmonton Global is seeking a Director of Research and Business Intelligence to join our team.
Purpose and Reporting Structure of the Role
The Director of Research and Business Intelligence is a member of the Investment and Trade team and reports directly to the Vice President, Investment and Trade with the key responsibility of producing research and reports that target, attract and facilitate new investment in the Edmonton Region. The Director of Research and Business Intelligence is expected to contribute ideas to the continuous improvement of team performance, technical systems, and business processes, supporting to further Edmonton Global’s mission to grow capital investment in the region.
This keystone position supports several organizational initiatives, such as reporting, benchmarking, business plan implementation, marketing and promotion.
This role description is intended primarily as an illustration of the type of deliverables expected and nature of work to be performed from the person in this position. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them if they are similar, related or logical assignments in support of Edmonton Global’s objectives. Specific qualifications, requirements and responsibilities of the role are listed below.
- Manage Edmonton Global’s inventory of data (regional data lake), including keeping data sets current and accurate as well as assisting with maintaining and improving internal systems used in this process. Examples of market data include commercial real estate, taxes, demographics, cost of living, business location costs, and workforce and labor statistics, including site selection tools and databases
- Support business development activities which include identifying prospective investors (lead generation), responding to investor inquiries, support investor aftercare activities, develop M&A strategies
- Lead in the development of performance metrics and KPI’s for regional analysis and Scorecard/benchmarking
- Serve as the main point of contact for general research requests from external stakeholders providing excellent customer service by responding in a timely and professional manner. Stakeholders include investors, Government partners and elected officials, community partners, and more
- In coordination with the business development director, serve as a champion of Edmonton Global’s CRM Systems, Site Selection tools and RFP Requests. Maintain high-level knowledge of these systems and support both staff and regional economic development partners with system training, reports and data entry as needed
- Identify, evaluate and potentially implement new research tools, vendors, or software and provide recommendations as needed
- Build and maintain relationships with, and knowledge of, research resources and community partners through participation in various economic development, business and investment/FDI and research forums
- Develop strategic plans to support regional advantages, programs and initiatives that will facilitate new capital investment, technology, job creation and business growth
- Lead a team of research analysts (2)
- Maintain regular contact with site selectors and other professional sales channels that will advance Edmonton Global’s objectives around investment attraction and trade
- Work with the Investment & Trade team to identify industry opportunities that may complement new investments and target potential investors based upon existing market conditions
- Identify regional, provincial or federal funding and incentive programs that support Edmonton Global’s objectives, especially related to research and market intelligence
- Develop information and databases to ensure that potential investors have significant and compelling data to support a decision to locate in the region
- Participate in the development of research, benchmarking and comparative site data to promote the value proposition for the Edmonton Metropolitan Region
- Respond to requests for information and assistance with respect to programs and opportunities
- Maintain key relationships with the development, commercial real estate and site selection community to further the region’s recruitment objectives
- Coordinate with local, provincial and federal agencies to identify appropriate support for new venture and opportunities
The successful candidate will be an adaptive and dynamic individual comfortable working in a fast-paced organization and embody Edmonton Global’s core values: integrity, collaborative, empowered, transformative, and invested.
The following skills, experiences and aptitudes will also be required.
Education and Experience
- A graduate degree (Masters, MBA or equivalent) in business, economics or finance or related field
- A professional Degree or certification such as CFA or CAP is desirable
- 5 to 10 years of professional experience in economic development, investment attraction, business, finance or economics research
- Knowledge of the use of foresight tools for advanced strategic planning would be a strong advantage
- Proficiency with computer skills in Microsoft Word, Excel & Power Point in a Windows environment
- Proficiency and knowledge of business management and opportunity analysis
- Knowledge of Municipal, Provincial and Federal Acts, Regulations and Standards related to Planning and Economic Development, investment and trade
- Experience working effectively and discreetly with all levels of staff, board members, shareholders, partners and the public
Skills and Knowledge
- Possess a positive attitude, be a team player, self-motivated with an entrepreneurial drive and adaptable to change
- Leadership Skills demonstrating forward-looking leadership style while providing guidance and support to staff. A mentor and positive role model combined with a practical, collaborative and common-sense approach and expertise in issues management.
- Strong interpersonal skills combined with demonstrated project/time management, organizational, analytical, research communication (written, oral), report writing, negotiation, administrative, problem-solving, public relations and public speaking
- Ability to provide exceptional customer service to both internal and external stakeholders while maintaining a high level of professionalism
- Ability to think and act strategically in a political and community service environment, and to foster and contribute to a positive, productive work environment
- Ability to learn various software applications/platforms and gain technical skills as needed
- Outstanding analytical skills with the ability to develop analytical models related to economic development and investment attraction
- Multi-task oriented, with the ability to prioritize a robust workload and meet multiple deadlines
- Excellent organizational and proofing skills with strong attention to detail, including report writing
- Excellent communication skills in English, additional languages are an asset
- A future-oriented perspective with an international scope
Requirements of the Position
- A valid driver’s license in good standing
- A valid passport as travel regionally, nationally and internationally may be required
Will be competitive and based on skills and experience.
Please email us at email@example.com noting “Application: Director of Research and Business Intelligence” in the subject line, with your cover letter and resume attached by Wednesday, August 26 at Noon.
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only short-listed applicants will be contacted. If you have questions about the process or the position, please contact our Office Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Edmonton Global is an equal opportunity employer and we value the diversity of people and communities. We are committed to an environment that is inclusive and barrier free. If you require accommodation during the hiring process, please inform us in advance to arrange reasonable and appropriate accommodations.